Thought Police Are Marching On
8 years ago by SoPissed

It is particularly  sad for me -  escaped a dictatorship country, worshiped this  land of the free and the home of the brave, and I am witnessing over the years the freedom of speech for every citizens of this once a great country has been gradually taken away.  It reminds me of the Red Guards during the Chinese Culture Revolution - demonized the authorities, the establishments, their  parents and their  friends, and then sent them to thought-cleansing labor  camps.

Quoted from http://www.wsj.com/articles/literal-speech-police-1447180770

Reader Tim McAleenan, a third-year law student at the University of Missouri, forwards an announcement he received by email this morning from the campus police, with the subject line “Reporting Hateful and/or Hurtful Speech”:

To continue to ensure that the University of Missouri campus remains safe, the MU Police Department (MUPD) is asking individuals who witness incidents of hateful and/or hurtful speech or actions to:
• Call the police immediately at [phone number redacted]. (If you are in an emergency situation, dial 911.)
• Give the communications operator a summary of the incident, including location. 
• Provide a detailed description of the individual(s) involved. 
• Provide a license plate and vehicle descriptions (if appropriate).
• If possible and if it can be done safely, take a photo of the individual(s) with your cell phone. 
Delays, including posting information to social media, can often reduce the chances of identifying the responsible parties. While cases of hateful and hurtful speech are not crimes, if the individual(s) identified are students, MU’s Office of Student Conduct can take disciplinary action. 

We spoke with Maj. Brian Weimer, the campus police’s public information officer, who confirms the email is genuine. It’s also very troubling.

Updated 8 years ago